Let’s Go Nuts Over Peanut Butter!
Today is National Peanut Butter Day! In our house, this is considered a national holiday. We think banks, government offices and, well, everyone should take the day off so both two-legged and four-legged beasts can enjoy the yummy goodness of peanut butter.
Creamy or chunky, with jelly or a banana or apple, we dogs just adore our peanut butter treats. Just don’t give us chocolate with it. And, make sure Xylitol, a sweetener used in many foods, is not listed as an ingredient.
Here are a few ways you can help your furbabies celebrate…
- Just let us lick a spoon! (Keep a hold of the spoon, so I don’t swallow that, too.)
- Share a bite of your PB&J sammy.
- Put a little dab of that sweet, magical spread on slices of banana or apples.
- Add a little bit to my Kong and let me work for it.
- Whip up some of my brother Busby’s favorite peanut butter cookies. (Recipe below.)
Busby’s Peanut Butter & Banana Dog Biscuits
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup mashed, ripe banana
1 tablespoon honey
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 egg white, lightly beaten, for brushing
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Stir together the egg, peanut butter, banana, and honey in a medium bowl; blend thoroughly.
- Stir in the flour and wheat germ; mix well.
- Turn dough out onto a floured board and roll to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut into desired shapes with a cookie cutter, place on prepared baking sheet, and brush tops with egg white.
- Bake biscuits in preheated oven until dried and golden brown, about 30 minutes, depending on size.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Happy eating! Ciao…until next time!